Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The first entry!

OK, so I finally took the plunge and created my own blog! 

For my first post, I'm going to share a card I made for the Viva La Verve (VLV) weekly challenge.  I usually try to follow sketches pretty closely, and for this challenge, I chose to use the color combo of black, olive green, and red.

I stamped the big flower on white cardstock 3 times using Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  Then I colored it with my Copic markers.  (Sorry, I didn't think to write down the colors).  The flower and sentiment are both from the Verve set "One Person."  I cut out the center of the flower and cut apart the petals so I could curl the edges just a bit.  I did the same with the middle layer, so after all of the cutting, I have a total of three layers separated with foam dimensionals to give it some depth.  The designer paper is from K & Company, and the green that I used as matting is just some I had in my stash, likely open stock from either Hobby Lobby or Michael's.  The ribbon is a simple olive green satin that I picked up a while ago at Michael's.  I used a Bow Easy tool to tie the ribbon.  It was a pretty easy card to make.

Tip:  To make the 1/16 inch mats, I measure the panel (ex. the white rectangle) and then add 1/8 inch to that measurement.  You just have to be careful when you place the layers together so that they are straight.  I think having the sides aligned gives the card a more elegant appearance.  To make my cuts, I use a rotary cutting tool that is intended for cutting fabric.  I have found that even when the blade is too dull to cut fabric, it will still easily cut through paper!  I use the rotary cutter along with a rotary cutting mat and an Omnigrid quilting ruler.

Thanks for visiting my blog!  Have a great day!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from you!