Sunday, November 28, 2010

CCT Blast from the Past meets Verve Project Parade

The current Cute Card Thursday challenge is to revisit any of the previous challenges with the exception of anything goes.  I went back to the May 13, 2010 challenge which was "Someone Special."  The original challenge was to make a card for a special someone, either a family member or a close friend.  I thought this was perfect as I needed to make a thank you card for Ariel to give to her grandparents. 

Then I got to thinking that I could combine the CCT with the Verve Project Parade Challenge.  Julee has challenged us to make a trio of projects.  Someone is going to win the entire January new release and have the chance to be a Guest Diva!  I wish that someone could be me!  {giggle}

So here's my contest entry. 

Part 1:  I embellished a brown paper bag with some of my all-time favorite dps, "Quite Contrary" by My Mind's Eye.  I added a "lace" strip that I made with the MS doily lace punch and inked the edges of the "lace" with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.  To cover that seam, I added some Webster's Pages Bloomers.  I cannot believe that the greens from these 2 different brands actually matched! 



I also made a tag to hang on the bag.  I started with white cardstock and the largest of the Nestie labels dies and then sponged the edges while it was still in the die with Vintage Photo ink.  I used another MS punch to just punch around a square piece of white cardstock and then inked my resulting "medallion" with more Vintage Photo ink.  I made a little rosette flower for the center of my medallion by just making an accordion fold and then adhering the ends together.  I put the rosette on top of a circle of cardstock and attached it with a bunch of Scor-Tape.  Then I added a button and a hemp bow to finish the rosette.  The sentiment is from Verve's set "Just for You." 

Here's a closeup of the tag.  The green is a bit distorted here since I had to take the bag photo in the evening.


OK, so what's in the bag?  Well, let's take a little peek.


Part 2:  The second item I created was this gift box.  Let's pull it out of the bag and have a look.

Here's the top view.  The sentiment is from Verve's set "Kind Words."  The leaves around the frame (same technique as the tag above, but I used the second smallest Grand Nestie die) are from Verve's set "Great Friend."  I stamped the leaves in SU! Old Olive and then stamped a second time without reinking to create a little more dimension.  The swirls under all of the flowers and bow are a Sizzix die, and I sponged their edges with Vintage Photo ink, too.  I also added a few MS leaf punches around the biggest rose.  I was trying to create kind of a trellis look with the roses climbing up the edges.


I also took some closeups.  I added Glimmermist to the white rose.


The bow is Moss May Arts silk ribbon that I tied using a Bow Easy.


Here's the box from the side.  I added more of the MS "lace" and sponged again with Vintage Photo ink.


Part 3:  So, now we just need to open the box and see what's inside.  It's my card for Ariel to give her grandparents.



I just love the softness of the patterns and of course the pink and green color combo. I used an image by Hanglar Stanglar and colored it with Copics. I used a MS doily lace border punch and the leaf punch on this card.

Here's a closeup of the flowers.  The biggest rose is a Prima Winter Rose - love the glitter on the edges and the smaller roses are Recollections from Michael's.  I curled the ends using a knitting needle.



Here's the inside view of the card.  This photo was taken at a bit of an angle to get decent natural light.  The card is actually 6" square, but you wouldn't think that from this photo!



I finished the back with more scrap paper and my personalized stamp from Scrapmagisinet.




Here's one last photo showing the entire ensemble.



Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you enjoyed my project as much as I enjoyed making it!
Blessings,
Sarah

5 comments:

  1. These are lovely! I love the fresh garden-y look & the colors you used. Great set!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fab! I love the glitter detail on the flower, and I love the Mongolia stamped image...I kind of shied away from those stamps because I am not too great on the coloring of skin tones, but this is great....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome set! WOWEE!! Love the whole trellis look on the box, the card is precious, and the bag is beautifully altered! Who'd have thunk a plain Kraft bag had so much potential?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous trio! Love that beautiful box and all your fabulous detail work. So lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from you!