Saturday, August 13, 2011

Hello Pumpkin!

Over on Splitcoaststampers, in the Verve Forum, Jackie is hosting the August Get Your Diva On challenge.  Her challenge involves using a tag on a card or making a set of tags.  One of the challenge participants will get to be a Guest Diva!  I'm hoping that some of the release party Diva dust rubbed off on me {giggle!}.   A girl can hope, can't she?!

I started with Shannan's VLV sketch for August week 3.  I loved all of the layers in the sketch!


I decided that I would somehow incorporate a tag into this sketch, but truly, I think I'm just about the only person out there that isn't completely in love with tags!  They are just really hard for me to do and have it look like the tag is a part of the design and not just a tag added on top (or to the side or behind or whatever).  The other challenge I had was that while I do have a bunch of different Nestie labels that I could use to make a tag, I really wanted to use the tag in the Verve set "Glad Tidings."  I'm kicking myself a bit for not purchasing the Verve tag stamp and coordinating scallop die previously, but so it goes.

Enough chatter and on to the card!


I used dps from My Mind's Eye "Stella Rose Mabel Collection." 

**Warning:  The following pictures are horribly blurry.  I took them on my cell phone and it just wouldn't focus.  Next time I will know that I have to get the "real camera" to take more desirable photos!  Sorry!**


The tag was the most challenging element of this card. I stamped the pumpkin image from "Bountiful Harvest" and colored it using Copics. Then I made a mask of the little pumpkin using a green post it note.  I carefully cut out the pumpkin image by hand.



Next, I positioned the mask over the colored pumpkin and then stamped my tag from "Glad Tidings."  I LOVE clear stamps for the ability to position them exactly so!  I left the post it note mask in place so you can see what a mess it appears to be at this point.




Then when the post it mask is removed, you have the colored image with the tag border and a little bit of what was supposed to be a snowflake, but I think it works as pumpkin leaves and tendrils.

Here's a closeup of the embellished tag.



On the inside of the card, I used the remainder of the sheet that I'd previously used to cut the circle for the front of the card.  I added the brown mat to help "fill" the hole. 




I used my scraps to finish the back of the card along with my personalized stamp framed in a scalloped circle Nestie.



Supplies
Stamps:  Verve "Glad Tidings" tag and "Bountiful Harvest" sentiment and pumpkin
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Memento Tuxedo Black, Vintage Photo Distress Ink (sponged around edges of tag), and SU! Always Artichoke
Papers:  white, kraft for base and mats, and dps from My Mind's Eye "Stella Rose Mabel Collection"
Other:  scissors, post it note, button and seam binding from stash, Bow Easy, Jewelry Designer hemp cord, Grand Nesties circle die, sponge
Technique:  Coloring with Copics, sponging, and masking

Thanks for stopping by!
Blessings!
Sarah

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing from you!